Wednesday, May 4, 2016

How to Raise a Jedi



This is one for all you Star Wars movie fans. I've have actually, and my kids have actually, never seen them. I know. I know. I'm the worst kind of person. We just don't often do movies. And my kids frighten at any sort of suspense and excitement that exceeds a Paw Patrol story line. We are, however, big fans of toy weapons. There are so many in our home that I've had to create an organizational system around them. We now have a "Weaponry" box. It's on top of the fridge where kids can't reach them. Unless they get a stool and I'm too busy feeding the baby to stop them. I didn't say it was an organizational system that works.

I'm definitely one for fostering healthy conflict resolution between my kids. This should serve them well later in life. I am also one for finishing my morning cup of coffee before speaking. Most of the time they figure it out on their own. When this particular instance happened in my home Kid 3 hit Kid 1 who said "Ow!" and then started giggling hysterically in what became an epic lightsaber battle that I actually did have to intervene in to explain that "No, lightsabers are not actually for hitting people. Just smack them together at least. Or at the very least not in the face." Today the lightsabers are broken. Like into multiple pieces. I call that a self-correcting problem.

May the force be with you.