Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Rough Week


I was looking forward to summer vacation with the kind of foolhardy optimism that deserves to be punished. I met my acquaintances with an impetuous, "Are you excited for summer!?" that left many people confused and wary.

Instead of the super fun awesome fun time I had idealized we all ended up kinda sick. Then my husband came back from his business trip week and he ended up kinda sick. I slept something like four minutes in four days and my striped Trader Joe's dish towel started looking uncannily like my baby's striped Carter's romper while getting him dressed until I thought:
Whoops. Not a romper. Next I called the doctor's office to make an appointment for my 2 year old. Except they wanted to know when his birthday was and I was all like, "I know it's in October... and then it's a number and then another number like 2000 and something. I don't know. There's just so many of them. Can you help me out?"

She did. Embarrassing. He is fine by the way, child whose birthday is October something, 2000 and something.

But then I slept. And the healthy kids and I got out of the house. And I bought $500 worth of groceries which has made life yummy and convenient. We go outside almost all day everyday and things are so shockingly good. Colors are more saturated and sounds are crystallized to my ear. I feel like I've received a second lease on life in comparison to the zombie I was three days ago.

The kids spend their afternoons and evenings setting up snow cone stands by the road that no one comes to because we live near a cul-de-sac and lying their babies down for naps under the big oak tree. Our June Berry Tree is ripe with berries and life feels so rewarding and joyful that I can't contain my foolhardy summer optimism again. Plus I just discovered Netflix. Yeeees just now. I don't like paying for TV, okay, but now folding socks is like SOOOOOOOOOOO much better.