Friday, July 8, 2016

Hillbilly Eye Spy


This is what it looks like when we visit my husband's small town for the Fourth of July weekend and he drives around trying to convince me to move there by playing some sort of hillbilly eye spy while hopped up on steroids for bronchitis. He really did give this enthusiastic speech. I wrote it down in the car because comedy is my coping mechanism:

Monologue of a manic father holding his family hostage driving around in rural Pennsylvania.
He was feeling patriotic. And nostalgic. And PUMPED.

It's not that I don't WANT to move to my husbands small town. It's just that a boat, a couple of ATV's and tractors, and a bald eagle stature aren't on the tippy-top of my pro and con list.

I really want to live in the best place for our family, which might be just right where we are but we've been paying a bit of thought to the idea of homesteading. We'd love some land and some freedom and room to roam. We'd like to raise animals and to give our kids responsibilities and a slow and simple childhood.

This summer has been full of so much hustle bustle that I'm grieving summers gone by of nothing but boredom. I'm already dreading the school year. I LIKE having my kids home with me. The big kids are so helpful and fun. We've really enjoyed being together. I asked my husband last night if it would be selfish to home school just so I can hang out with my kids year round. Is it the best choice for my kids? I don't know. But it would be so fun though. Home school moms right now are dying laughing at my naivete. Ask me again how I feel about this in August.

I don't know where we'll end up living. Raising a lot of kids I'm learning is actually easier when we are together instead of spread out all over town doing various activities. I can't believe I've been entrusted with the care of five people and I still have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. So I am praying a novena for divine deciding intervention. Happy Fourth of July! Hope your corner of 'Merica is beautiful this summer.