Friday, July 15, 2016

The 5 Stages of Back to School Shopping


Remember last week when I said I was thinking about homeschooling? Well today I bought a lunchbox for school this fall so you can deduce how things shook out on that front.  My daughter asked me for a new lunchbox "like all the other kids have" every week all last school year and I said no because I had bought her the raddest lunch box ever, a Planetbox, to save me time and sanity finding containers in the morning. I love it! I fill up the compartments and close it up and off you go! But APPARENTLY other parents aren't shelling out $70 for environmentally-friendly stainless steel lunchboxes here in suburban Pennsylvania. That must be more of a California thing. And my daughter's weird, character-free lunchbox has labeled her as a Kindergarten lunchtime and school bus loser.

Lunchboxes are dumb. I prefer function over conformity but now I really wish I had just listened to my daughter a year ago instead of learning now of the consequences of owning a weirdo lunchbox. And although I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to buy her way into sitting at the cool table this year I caved and bought the princess lunchbox. Because the thought of my daughter sitting lonely on the school bus each afternoon makes me want to ugly cry in the laundry room with a bag of chocolate chips. Complete insanity.